So yesterday I stumbled across this recipe from Jamie Oliver for vegan brownies and they looked so yummy! I changed the recipe quite a lot (making it GF and substituting other ingredients) as an experiment and it tasted beautiful!
Here is the link to Jamie’s recipe: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/vegan-chocolate-brownies/
But read below for my modified version:
5 tbsp Olive Oil
200g Dark Chocolate (I recommend chocolate with 70% cocoa mass)
170g GF Self Raising Flour
3 heaped tsp Cocoa (100% cocoa mass)
180g Coconut Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees Celsius and grease or line a square baking tin (20cm approx.)
- Melt 150g of the chocolate and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, sieve the flour and cocoa in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar and salt.
- Add the vanilla essence, oil, milk, and melted chocolate and mix together.
- Roughly chop the remaining chocolate and add to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the outside of the brownies are cooked and the middle is gooey.
- Take the brownies out and put onto a wiring rack to cool.
- Cut and enjoy!
There you have it! Even though mine turned out a bit cracked (due to not letting them cool enough before taking them out of the tin) they were still delicious! I hope you have more patience than me and allow yours to cool!
Please let me know if you like my GF healthy brownie recipe, you can comment below or email me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover image source: http://www.justcooking.ie/images/classes/25.jpg
Today I have decided to share with you my own recipe for a healthy, gluten and dairy free dark chocolate loaf!
This is a very rich dessert especially as I use 98% cocoa, so if you want it to be a bit sweeter I suggest using a lesser percentage of cocoa powder and adding a little bit more coconut sugar.
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk (or almond or soya)
- ½ cup of dark cocoa (I use Green&Blacks 98% cocoa)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Orange juice of 1 and ½ oranges
- 1 ¾ cup of gluten free plain flour
- Zest of 1 orange
- Large plastic bowl
- Tablespoon and tea spoon measurers
- Loaf tin (small/medium size)
- Cup measurers
- Non-stick baking paper
- Wooden spoon
- Fine grater/zester
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
2. Melt coconut oil and then pour into bowl, add coconut sugar and whisk together.
- Whisk in eggs, bananas and milk.
- Add in cocoa, baking powder, vanilla extract and orange juice and whisk.
- Switch to the wooden spoon and stir in the flour and orange zest.
- Line loaf tin with non-stick baking paper and pour the mixture in.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check if it is done by sticking a fork or wooden cocktail stick and if it comes out dry and clean then it is done (if a few crumbs are on the fork or stick that’s fine as long as they are dry the cake is done)
- Transfer the cake onto a wire rack to allow it to cool completely and TA-DAH! You have a glorious healthy chocolate loaf!
You don’t have to use gluten free flour or alternative milks if you don’t wish to, I wanted to make the recipe gluten and dairy free so that more people can enjoy it! This is a healthy cake as coconut sugar is the same as honey- in moderation it is healthier than normal sugar but don’t go overboard! I hope you enjoy this recipe and please feel free to comment on this post or email me any questions or pictures on email@example.com