Today I have decided to share with you my own recipe for a healthy, gluten and dairy free dark chocolate loaf!
This is a very rich dessert especially as I use 98% cocoa, so if you want it to be a bit sweeter I suggest using a lesser percentage of cocoa powder and adding a little bit more coconut sugar.
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk (or almond or soya)
- ½ cup of dark cocoa (I use Green&Blacks 98% cocoa)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Orange juice of 1 and ½ oranges
- 1 ¾ cup of gluten free plain flour
- Zest of 1 orange
- Large plastic bowl
- Tablespoon and tea spoon measurers
- Loaf tin (small/medium size)
- Cup measurers
- Non-stick baking paper
- Wooden spoon
- Fine grater/zester
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
2. Melt coconut oil and then pour into bowl, add coconut sugar and whisk together.
- Whisk in eggs, bananas and milk.
- Add in cocoa, baking powder, vanilla extract and orange juice and whisk.
- Switch to the wooden spoon and stir in the flour and orange zest.
- Line loaf tin with non-stick baking paper and pour the mixture in.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check if it is done by sticking a fork or wooden cocktail stick and if it comes out dry and clean then it is done (if a few crumbs are on the fork or stick that’s fine as long as they are dry the cake is done)
- Transfer the cake onto a wire rack to allow it to cool completely and TA-DAH! You have a glorious healthy chocolate loaf!
You don’t have to use gluten free flour or alternative milks if you don’t wish to, I wanted to make the recipe gluten and dairy free so that more people can enjoy it! This is a healthy cake as coconut sugar is the same as honey- in moderation it is healthier than normal sugar but don’t go overboard! I hope you enjoy this recipe and please feel free to comment on this post or email me any questions or pictures on email@example.com