I’m not sure about you guys but I have often struggled to find great and natural products that would be good for my skin as well as being affordable.
I looked online at:
http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/get-clear-skin-home.html I have written out the remedies from the website and will also write my opinion next to them.
Lemon is one of the best ingredients that you can use to promote clear skin. The citric acid present in lemon helps keep the skin clear by removing dead cells, and its vitamin C content helps reduce dark spots by increasing the cell renewal process. Lemon also has bleaching properties that will help improve your overall skin complexion.
- Apply fresh-squeezed lemon juice to your entire face and neck. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. After this, rub cucumber slices on your skin to soften and moisturize it. Do this daily or every other day.
- Another option is squeeze the juice of one-half lemon and mix one to two tablespoons of raw honey in it. Apply it on your face, leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it off.
- To exfoliate your skin, mix two teaspoons each of lemon juice and sugar. Apply the mixture on your face, neck and hands. Scrub in a circular motion and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once a week to enjoy glowing skin.
This remedy is always great in my opinion, it has greatly reduced spot scarring, be careful not to apply on an open wound!
Turmeric is an excellent antiseptic and skin-lightening agent that helps minimise scars and other marks. Plus, turmeric can alleviate allergic, inflammatory and infectious skin disorders that make your skin look dull and lifeless.
- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with enough pineapple juice to make a paste. Apply the paste to your face and neck. Leave it on until the paste dries completely. Then wash it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy two or three times a week to reduce the appearance of spots on skin.
- Make a paste by mixing equal amounts of turmeric powder and gram flour with a little water or milk. Apply it evenly on your skin and leave it on until it dries. Wash it off with lukewarm water, scrubbing your skin gently in a circular motion. Follow this remedy once a week to lighten your skin tone and remove scars.
This wasn’t as effective in my opinion but I encourage you to try everything- everyone’s skin is different!
To enjoy clear skin, your need to keep your skin well moisturised. Honey is a great moisturiser and also has antibacterial properties that help ward off infection.
- Apply raw honey directly on your skin. Let it dry naturally and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. The water content in honey will deeply moisturise the skin, making it soft and supple. Do this simple remedy once daily or every other day.
- Alternatively, mix two teaspoons of milk and one teaspoon of honey. Then add one teaspoon of gram flour and mix it in well. Apply it all over your face. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Use this face mask once a week to enjoy radiant and clear skin.
I tried the milk and honey version and not only did it smell delicious my skin was glowing afterwards!
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has many benefits for the skin. It has antibacterial properties that help kill bacteria that cause acne, anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe irritated skin, and astringent properties that help heal scars. Plus, Aloe Vera moisturises the skin and stimulates new skin cell growth.
- Extract the gel from an Aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on your face using a cotton ball.
- Allow it to dry on its own for about half an hour, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this remedy daily or several times per week.
I have not yet needed to try this remedy but I have heard it is very good!
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda balances pH levels of the skin, which is very important to maintain clear skin. Plus, its mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties help deal with problems like acne, pimples and spots. It also works as an excellent exfoliating agent to keep the skin free from dirt, impurities and dead skin cells.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one teaspoon of water or lemon juice to make a paste. Cleanse your face and use the paste to gently exfoliate the skin. Finally rinse your face with lukewarm water and pat it dry with a towel. Follow this remedy two or three times a week.
- Alternatively, mix one teaspoon each of baking soda and raw honey. Apply this mixture onto damp skin and massage gently for just one minute. Then wash with lukewarm water. Finally, splash some cold water on your face to close the pores. Follow this remedy once a week.
Baking soda is great (not just for cakes!) I found this remedy fairly useful but I think I’ll stick to Sudocrem when it comes to my spot cream…
Cucumbers contain hydrating, nourishing and astringent properties that are very good for skin. They can improve the overall appearance of your skin by repairing damaged skin cells, removing dead skin cells and adding a fresh glow.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices, and rub them thoroughly all over your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse with warm water in the morning. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Alternatively, make a mixture with equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Apply this mixture to your skin, allow it to dry completely, and then wash it off with warm water. Do this daily.
I love cucumber, it leaves my face feeling so fresh!
Papaya can be used to improve your skin’s texture and maintain clear skin. It has natural bleaching properties that help reduce the appearance of scars. Plus, the enzyme papain present in papaya has antibacterial and wound healing abilities and also aids in removing dead, damaged skin.
- Chop a ripe papaya into small pieces.
- Combine the papaya with one teaspoon each of sandalwood powder and honey. Grind these ingredients into a paste.
- Apply the paste all over your face and neck.
- Leave it on for half an hour. Then rinse it off with cool water and pat dry your skin.
- Finally apply some rose water on your face.
- Follow this remedy once a week to notice a visible change in your skin tone.
I did not find Papaya that effective, but it left my skin feeling smoother.
Walnuts can bring a beautiful glow to dull, dry and lifeless skin. Walnuts have antioxidants that help repair skin cells and promote radiant skin. Walnut in powder form can be used to exfoliate your skin and remove impurities and dirt that an ordinary cleansing product cannot do.
- Mix two teaspoons of walnut powder with two tablespoons of plain yogurt to make a paste. Apply this paste on your face and neck. When the paste dries, scrub the mixture around your face and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this face mask once a week.
- Soak three walnuts in water overnight. In the morning, mix in one teaspoon of rose water to make a paste. Apply the paste on your face. Leave it on for an hour and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once a week.
- You can also eat two or three walnuts with a glass of milk every morning.
I try and incorporate walnuts into my diet as I really like the taste! My skin has been glowing a little more recently but that is perhaps either my imagination or a combination of the walnuts with the other treatments.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is very rich in antioxidants that prevent free radical activity, which is one of the reasons behind dull and lifeless skin. Also, its antibacterial and antifungal properties help maintain clear skin. Plus, it will keep your skin soft and moisturized as this oil can penetrate deep into underlying tissues of the skin.
- Gently warm up some coconut oil in a microwave.
- Apply the warm oil to your face, neck, hands and legs. Gently massage it into the skin for 10 minutes.
- Finally rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this treatment once daily.
My only problem with coconut oil is I have not been able to find good quality oil at a good price…
The main ingredient in mint is menthol, which has cooling and soothing properties that help keep the skin healthy and glowing. Also, it has wonderful healing properties that help fight off skin infections.
- Put one teaspoon of mint powder and one tablespoon each of plain yogurt and fuller’s earth in a bowl.
- Set it aside for half an hour so that all ingredients get soaked properly. Then stir it to get a smooth paste.
- Apply this homemade face pack on your face and neck.
- Leave it on until it dries naturally, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this face mask once a week to enjoy clear skin.
I need to try this remedy, weekly face masks are very easy to maintain in busy lifestyles.
I hope you found this blog useful, just give things a try and if you prefer sticking to products bought from shops then keep on doing that! Everyone is different and once you find what works for you stick with it!